Saturday, October 16, 2010

who what when where why how much, who what when where why

Kickin' off an experimental extravaganza of accessory dwelling and small structure research with this website. I live in the great city of Olympia Warshington, so the context of my research is my home town, imagine that. I also find it of utmost importance to keep all research transparent. You should know what I am doing and let me know if you can help. I will keep my bibliography available on the right side of the page, so you can see what I am reading, and keep you posted on my happenings.

Why did I start this?

I have been putting most of my master's research into the high octane world of transportation. I recognize that throughout my life fossil fuels will not remain cheap, so transportation options will evolve accordingly. Land use options are the key to making this transition. How we build evolves and changes with how we travel.



To apply for my candidacy to complete this research, I wrote this paper. I explored the dynamic and embedded connections of suburban development and real estate finance. I have been significantly influenced by Christopher Leinberger's work, specifically "The Option of Urbanism." I recognized through my research a need for ideas, ingenuity and creativity in the world of building.

This summer I began working with my good friend Joseph Becker of Ion Ecobuilding. I helped construct a wood-chip and clay insulated cabin on the Westside of Olympia. I became aware of an entire world of new building ideas, some of which are on the verge of becoming available through the practice of building code adaptation.

For this piece of the puzzle, I have decided to focus my attention on accessory structures. Why accessory structures you ask? ADUs (detached or attached Accessory Dwelling Unit) and accessory structures have significant potential to increase density through infill development. This reduces sprawl and focuses on already existing residential districts to accommodate different lifestyles and household sizes. More on accessory structures to come in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment